Reporting basis and criteria non-financial indicators
As we integrate Brewing a Better World in the way we manage our business, it appears
only logical to gradually move towards Integrated Reporting. For the 2015 Annual
Report, we made a first step by disclosing a selection of non-financial indicators (KPIs).
For this year's report, we further integrate the most important non-financial KPIs and
no longer publish a separate Sustainability Report. The remaining non-financial KPIs
will be disclosed at the end of March 2016, in the sustainability section of our Company
Website. This includes more detailed information on the actions we took in 2016,
case studies, an overview of data and the G4-reference table.
Operating companies in scope
Indicators in scope
Report of the
Report of the
Annual Report 2016
The non-financial indicators in this report cover the performance of all our consolidated operating companies from 1 January 2016 up to and
including 31 December 2016, unless stated otherwise. A different reporting period is applied to those indicators where the current reporting cycle
does not allow for reporting within the timelines required for the Annual Report. In this year's review, in a number of indicators, we include the
following businesses for the first time: Desnoes Geddes in Jamaica, Heineken Malaysia Berhad, Pivovarna Lasko Union in Slovenia, APB Alliance
Brewery in Myanmar and Heineken South Africa.
The term 'production unit' means breweries, cider plants, soft drink plants, malteries, water plants and combinations of these, at which malt,
beer, cider, soft drinks and water are produced. Two packaging material plants are also in the scope of production units, covering the manufacture
of bottles and crates. Other plants have been included too, such as a winery, distillery and ice production facilities.
The content of the report is based on the material aspects for both our Company and our stakeholders and is directly linked to the Brewing a Better
World strategy, our six focus areas and our 2020 commitments. We have selected the non-financial KPIs that are most material, based on the
- The KPI is a Brewing a Better World commitment
- The KPI is a new target we publicly disclosed in our 2015 report
- The KPI is not related to a target but part of one of the Brewing a Better World focus areas and seen as important by our stakeholders
- The combination of KPIs should give a balanced - high level - overview of our progress in 2016.
Scope and materiality of indicators are approved on an annual basis by the Disclosure Committee, and may be adjusted once a year with effect
as of the following year.
The main systems used for collection, validation and analysis of reported data:
- Safety data is reported quarterly via a global system named ARISO (Accident Reporting Investigation Software system)
- The collection and validation of environmental data have been integrated in Business Comparison System (BCS). Production units submit
environmental data on a monthly basis in BCS
- The Green Gauge reporting system allows us to monitor and report quarterly progress against 12 key areas, related to our commitments
- Other reporting systems include the Contract Lifecycle System (CLM) and the EcoVadis Platform for Supplier Code and performance information,
and Ethics Point for 'Speak Up' data
- The Annual Sustainability Survey is the source of information for all other data that is not covered by the previously mentioned data sources.